Gallery+ is a new leaf for the Headway WordPress framework. As its name suggests, it provides gallery features. Although a free gallery leaf is available for Headway, Gallery+ has several additional features that earn it the “plus” moniker, key among these is the ability to use Headway Photo Galery and NexGen galleries so if you are already using one of those, you can start using Gallery+ straight away.
Otherwise, you can easily setup your own galleries using Gallery+’s own gallery system, builton the standard WordPress Media Library and WordPress custom post types.
Another major feature, not available in any other Headway leaf (mainluy because there hasn’t previously been a need), is galleries can be displayed embedded in the page’s content if you desire!
- Galleries can be shown in a leaf or embedded in the page’s content using a simple shortcode
- Horizontal or vertical navigation positioned left, right, top or bottom
- Option to place text at top or bottom of images
- Uses standard WordPress media library via Gallery+ custom post type
- Can use existing galleries in Headway Photo Gallery leaf
- Can use existing galleries in NextGen Gallery
- Support for opening images in a lightbox style overlay
- Multiple navigation button styles
- Create and use your own navigation buttons (requires Photoshop skills)
- Vertical crop alignment of images
- Horizontal crop alignment of images
- Frame border and frame padding allows book style or photo style designs
- CSS3 enhancements of frame shadow and rotation (supported browsers only)
- Sample gallery built-in
- Enhanced tooltips for every Gallery+ setting
Gallery+ allows you to create a wide variety of layouts so you should be able to create one to suit your site’s look and feel.
The image below has a photo style with a vertical navigation, and drop shadow.
For a clean, borderless look, like you might see in a photo book, the padding can be removed, and the thumbnails configured to fill the width of the frame.
Something a little more casual and like a photo lying on a desk can be made with a slight rotation of the frame and the removal of all other elements. The navigation can be set to appear when you hover over this one, and to make it easier on the viewer, it can be set to auto start slideshow. (Note: Rotation and shadow are CSS3 features not supported on IE8 or older,but are viewable on Safari, Chrome, FireFox, Opera and IE9.)
The next example shows a clean look with a light border and the text aligned to the top of the image. The text background as been set to a blue tone.
For those wanting a portfolio look, you can set the page background to black, and the frame background also to black.
Gallery+ is installed like any WordPress plugin. Simply upload the provided zip file via the WordPress plugins uploader, and activate.
Setting up a gallery
Gallery+ comes with a sample gallery built-in and support for Headway Photo Gallery and NextGen Gallery. Of course, it also has its own gallery system, which uses standard WordPress Media Libary methods.
Full details of how to setup a Gallery+ gallery are provided in the Gallery+ User Guide. In brief though, the process is:
- In the Gallery+ WP admin menu, add a new G+ Gallery
- Use standard WordPress methods to import photos into that G+ Gallery
- Then insert them as a gallery into the G+ Gallery
- Save the G+ Gallery, reload the Visual Editor, and your new gallery will be ready to use.
Gallery+ lets you create galleries with a photo style, book style, portfolio and more. So, however you use your website, whether home blogger, travel blogger, professional photographer, pro blogger, amateur photgrapher etc, if you want to display galleries of photos, Gallery+ provides an easy, powerful and flexible way to do so.
Like all Headway premium leafs, for the time and effort it will save you, Gallery+ is a steal at just US$25.
For comprehensive usage instructions, see the Gallery+ User Guide.